We're building our dream cottage this year. We have a lovely waterfront lot on a point of land on a small lake in Southern Ontario.

Monday, June 02, 2008

The cuckoo is driving me cuckoo

When I was in the basement at the house yesterday, I found the old cuckoo clock that we inherited from Bill's mom. I'd love to get it working so that we can take it to the cottage. I'll take it up even if its not working, but it would certainly be cool if I could get it working.

I've done some checking, the only place I've found so far that will fix it charges a set rate for each gear system. There are 3, so it would cost almost $500 to have a repairman fix it. So..... it looks like it will be my project for next winter. I found an e-book on the subject and a place that sells parts, but will look around more. It probably mostly just needs a good cleaning, but the little bellows have rotted, so I'll have to replace those.

I can get the gears going and the cuckoo to come out and even the music box to play, just not regularly or on its own yet (which is probably the cleaning issue). The cuckoo sound is from the bellows, so no sound until I get that one fixed. I spent a good portion of last night, figuring out all the gears and such. So...for testing purposes now I've got it hanging in the basement in my art corner. This thing has me fascinated. I won't be able to relax till its working....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter