We're building our dream cottage this year. We have a lovely waterfront lot on a point of land on a small lake in Southern Ontario.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Shopping for shingles

Our contractor starts on the roof today, so we've been shopping for shingles. I don't think people think too much about shingles. I certainly never did.

Where to go? The little local dude will deliver. You get a better selection if you go to a specialty place, but we'd have to rent a truck and unload it ourselves.
What colour? I really wanted the cedar, but you can't get it in all the years.
What style - 3 tab, laminated or stepped? 3 tab is the norm, cheapest and easiest to put up, but gee that laminated looks nice.
How many years - 25, 30, 35, 40 or 50? Do we REALLY want to have to worry about reshingling the cottage in our lifetime?
Zinc strip anyone? You know, that little strip that retards the growth of moss on cottage roofs. But, if you get the 50 year, you don't need the zinc strip as granules are imbedded.

Oh my, such choices. Bill says, I like the 3 tab. I say, I like the laminated, besides we can get it in 50 year with those little granules. Bill says, you can't get cedar in 50 year.

I struggled with that one. I really liked the cedar, but then thought, hey, its a roof, lets go with 50 year. I think he was relieved actually. The price difference is minimal and Bill really, REALLY didn't want to have to worry about reshingling in our lifetime. So, one truck and 2 tons of shingles later.....

 
Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter