We're building our dream cottage this year. We have a lovely waterfront lot on a point of land on a small lake in Southern Ontario.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Crazy dayz....

I think I drove Bill crazy Saturday.

It was hot and humid again. I started building walls for the upstairs and Bill built headers for the windows. He was able to work in the shade downstairs, but I worked in the sun.

Maybe it was the heat that drove me crazy. Anyway, after we got the first wall built, we lifted it up and slowly skootched it into place. We're on second floor remember and BTW, I don't do heights very well. Anyway, the closer we got to the edge and more nervous I got. In all honesty, I was just about freaking out, though trying REAL hard to buck up and do what I had to do. Anyway, uh...I wasn't able to hide it too well, all those gasps and words of exclamation and obvious signs of distress such gave me away. Bill had to work at staying calm and to keep me calm and focused, but I'm sure he was about ready to pitch me off the side. Yeah, crazy.

We didn't work too fast. It was just too hot. But did get another section put together before quiting for the day. I didn't wierd out so much on that one; it was a shorter, lighter section to deal with.

Sunday was a bit crazy too, but in a different way. How many different ways can you say it?

It rained like H E double toothpicks
We got wetter'n wet hens
We felt like drowned rats
It rained cats and dogs

Anyway, in case you didn't get the drift, it rained. It rained for the whole drive up, but we kept thinking, oh it'll clear. So we unloaded our stuff and sat on our little plastic adirondack style chairs under the cover of the 2nd floor floor (sitting only in places where the rain didn't drip through) and sat and drank coffee and thinking, this is the first time we've been able to just sit here and enjoy. The lake view is pretty even in the rain.

It started to clear up an few times and tease us, but finally stopped after an hour or so, so we continued with our building the walls for the upstairs. It took most of the morning just to get ready. We put all 3 levels of the scaffolding up to help us and it worked really well. Got the 2nd section up plus 2 more sections together and up. The scaffolding was especially helpful in getting the wall section over the front room up. We were just about to start on the next when the storm rolled in again. Bill started to brace the walls before it started raining, but it didn't take long for the rain to come fast and hard. By the time we "saved" all of our tools, the plans, etc and got them out of the rain we were dripping wet.

We stood around under the semi protection of the 2nd floor floor wondering if the rain would let up, but it appeared to have settled in, so we called it a day. Crazy rain. Ruined our work day, but to be honest it actually felt good on the skin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter